Rio 2016 Olympic Games Positive Legacies
The IGF recognises their responsibility under Rule 2, Article 14 of the Olympic Charter “to promote a positive legacy from the Olympic Games”.
As such we are committed to working with Rio 2016 in the delivery of the following positive legacies that will result from staging the golf competition at the 2016 Olympic Games.
Construction and Urban Renewal
- Only 18-hole public golf course in Rio de Janeiro and Brazil
- Clubhouse with multi-purpose use that can be used for public meetings and social engagements etc.
- Driving range for golf practice and instruction
- Golf academy for elite athlete instruction and education
- Restoration of degraded land
- Venue will be certified as environmentally sustainable
- Creation of green space with local access
- Create watershed and provide attenuation, natural filtering and treatment of water
- Manage run-off, erosion and conserving soil structure and biodiversity
- Improved ecosystem with increased native plants that will encourage wildlife sanctuary
- Encourage volunteerism in the sport of golf
- Golf sport volunteers learn new skills that are transferable to their day-to-day lives
- Potential resource for future professional tournaments
Sport of Golf
- Funding from Brazilian Olympic Committee to Confederation of Brazilian Golf for junior golf initiatives around Brazil
- Increase in number of national technical officials
- Increased accessibility to play golf due to 18 Hole public course
- Increased awareness and interest in golf
- Increased participation in golf
- Training facility that will focus on youth and elite level training simultaneously
- Referee schools in Brazil to increase the number of National Technical Officials.
- Implementation of youth development program dedicated to providing young people of all backgrounds opportunities to continue their education and develop their character through golf.
- Golf course provides employment for local residents.
- Provide business opportunities to local companies through the purchase of goods and services
- Generates charitable revenues through philanthropic activities held at the course