Buenos Aires 2018 Youth Olympic Games
The next edition of the summer YOG will take place in Buenos Aires between 6 and 18 October 2018.
The dates of Golf competition are as follows :
Men/Women Individual : 10 – 12 October 2018
Mixed Gender Team : 14 – 16 October 2018
About Buenos Aires:
Buenos Aires is the biggest city in Argentina and its people value its culture, sports, and gastronomy. People from Buenos Aires are called “porteños”, as the port of Buenos Aires has been and still is the country’s most important one. Porteños are a rare mix. They are loud, warm and very, very attached to family and friends. Argentines tend to make friends almost everywhere they go, and take care of those friendships for a lifetime.
The Buenos Aires emblem reflects the diversity of Buenos Aires. It is inspired by the city’s vibrant colours, eclectic culture, iconic architecture and the many neighbourhoods that make up the Argentinian capital. Check out this video about the emblem: https://youtu.be/K04wZ46e0Tc
Athletes, check out the Youth Olympic Village where you will be staying in Buenos Aires! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7vaAqV_qMgM
Format of Competition
- 54-hole individual competition. Each player plays against every other player in stroke play. The competition consists of players completing each hole on the course, over three rounds and, after each round, returning a signed score card with a gross score for each hole.
- The player who has the lowest cumulative score for the three rounds is the winner.
- A seeded draw will apply for round 3, with the leading players teeing off last.
- 54-hole mixed gender team competition. Teams are made up of one male and one female player from the same NOC. They will be grouped with a different team each day except for the seeded draw for round 3. The competition consists of teams completing each hole on the course, over three rounds and, after each round, returning a signed score card with a gross score for each hole. The team competition to be all stroke play as follows:
- First round: foursome
- Second round: four-ball
- Third round: men’s and women’s individual scores count
- The gross scores for all three rounds (four x 18 hole scores) will be combined to form the team score. The team that has the lowest cumulative score for the three rounds is the winner
- A seeded draw will apply for round 3 with the leading players teeing off last
Competition Rules and Procedures
Qualification and Rankings
To be eligible to participate in the Buenos Aires YOG Golf Competition, athletes must be amateur golfers born between 01 January 2000 and 31 December 2003. Qualification is based on the Youth Olympic Golf Rankings. The Youth Olympic Golf Rankings are formed by adding the highest ranked man and woman on the Men World Amateur Golf Rankings and Women World Amateur Golf Rankings. The top 26 NOCs on the Youth Olympic Golf Rankings will be eligible for their NOC to enter one (1) man and one (1) woman.
Five (5) Universality Places per gender are available for eligible NOCs and One (1) Host Country place is available for each gender.
Those NOCs and their selected athletes, who qualify for the Women’s and Men’s Individual Stroke Play events, qualify for the mixed gender team event. The mixed gender team event will consist of one (1) man and one (1) woman from the same NOC. In the event that a team from the same NOC cannot be formed, where possible, a mixed NOC team will be formed.
Total quota for Golf
Please see here for details on the 2018 Youth Olympic Games Qualification system: Buenos Aires 2018 – Qualification System – IGF (PDF) (updated on 16.10.2017)
Please click here for Youth Olympic Golf Rankings.
Please find here the Youth Olympic Games Buenos Aires 2018 Events Programme.
Coming soon! Information relating to the Anti-Doping Programme in place for the Buenos Aires Youth Olympic Games can be found here.