Participation of athletes with Russian and Belarusian passport
LAUSANNE, SWITZERLAND - At its April meeting the IGF Board reaffirmed its unwavering support and solidarity with our Ukrainian athletes and federation who are confronted daily with terrible hardship due to this senseless war. The IGF remains steadfast in its commitment to assist them in every way possible.
The Board noted that the IOC has not made a decision regarding the participation of Russian and Belarusian athletes at the 2024 Paris Olympic Games, and as such the IGF board has deferred any decision on their participation at the Olympic golf competitions until a decision is made by the IOC.
The Board also considered the recently released IOC recommendations for International Federations and international sports event organisers on the participation of athletes with a Russian or Belarusian passport in international competitions and determined the following for IGF events:
- Teams of athletes with a Russian or Belarusian passport cannot be considered.
- Athletes with a Russian or a Belarusian passport must compete only as Individual Neutral Athletes.
- Any such Individual Neutral Athlete, like all the other participating athletes, must meet all anti-doping requirements applicable to them, as set out in the anti-doping rules of the IGF.
- No flag, anthem, colours or any other identifications whatsoever of these countries be displayed at any sports event or meeting, including the entire venue.
- Athletes who actively support the war cannot compete. Support personnel who actively support the war cannot participate.
- Athletes who are contracted to the Russian or Belarusian military or national security agencies cannot compete. Support personnel who are contracted to the Russian or Belarusian military or national security agencies cannot participate.
It should be noted that the above position is consistent with the decision made by the IGF Board in March 2022 following the invasion of Ukraine by Russia.